Monday, November 24, 2008

Egg yolk sugar cookies



I made a chocolate truffle cake the other day. Because Ed asked for it. It was so-so, I thought I overcooked it and made it too dry but Ed liked it. Anyway, it used egg whites, so I had two egg yolks left over and remembered a really good egg yolk cookie I'd made a while ago. I decided to make those, but since I only had two egg yolks, I had to do some funky measuring things, and ended up sort of completely changing the recipe. Instead of being pretty moist, it was dry and stiff. Oh no! I was worried that I'd never be able to get these into balls, but, after tasting the batter (a necessary step, especially with cookie dough!), it was too good to not bake. So I rolled it out, which was the perfect thing to do with dry, stiff, cookie dough. This might have just become my go-to recipe for roll-out cookies, because they taste really good. It did make a pretty crunchy cookie, though, once it had cooled. But a yummy crunchy cookie.

Egg-yolk sugar cookies
1C flour
1 tsp baking soda
1C sugar (although if you are going to frost the cookies, I would use 3/4C)
1 stick butter
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp lemon zest (or orange, or lime, or grapefruit... whatever)
2 egg yolks

Cream the butter and sugar until its pretty fluffy. Add the egg yolks one at a time and beat them in. It'll still be pretty dry. Add the vanilla and lemon zest. In a separate bowl, mix the flour, salt, and baking soda. Add this mixture to the butter, and combine until it looks like cookie dough. If its wet enough, you can roll it into balls, or if its dry, you can do what I did and roll it out.

The roll-out cookies took ~10 minutes at 350F. Start checking them after 6 minutes or so, because if you leave them in there a minute too long they go from perfect-slightly-chewy-golden to mildly burned.

This recipe made me 44 stars.

No comments: