Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Chocolate soufflé



The dessert from my birthday dinner was a chocolate soufflé. And my birthday present was four soufflé ramekins! Yum. I promise not to try and eat the porcelain. I've never made a soufflé before, but Ed made it look easy. I should mention that all he let me do was watch him make me things and drink beer. I live a rough life.

Chocolate soufflé
1-3/4oz chocolate, melted
1.5tbs butter
add seeds from one vanilla bean
beat 1 egg yolk with 1tbs water and 1tbs sugar until strings form
fold egg yolk into chocolate mixture
ramekins coated with soft butter, then granulated sugar, then stuck in the freezer

Take ramekins out of freezer once egg yolks go into chocolate.

3 egg whites + 1/6C sugar + squeeze of lemon juice, beat to stiff peaks.

fold 1/3 of that into chocolate mixture, then fold in the rest, until relatively consistent.
Ladle into ramikins
400F
15-18min, once grown 1.5", golden brown and delicious.


I recommend sprinkling the sugar on top, it just makes it look prettier.

yummm. We had enough for three ramekins, you can probably guess who the glutton was who ate two...

No comments: