Thursday, October 6, 2011

Salad of apple, fennel, toasted pecans and pomegranate seeds



I saw this recipe initially on Simple Bites, and I was intrigued, mostly because I love pomegranate seeds and toasted pecans. I was less convinced about the fennel - I've had fennel about four times in my life. The first time, I was little, and I determined that I hated it. The second time, was last year, and it was roasted, and I decided it was ok. The third time was a few months ago, and someone else was cooking it, and I ate it out of politeness, and it was actually ok. But I've never had raw fennel, and I was worried that the anise flavor would totally turn me off. Luckily, mixed with apple, and in a fruity dressing, it was good!

The best part about this is definitely whacking the pomegranate seeds out of its shell. Cut the pomegranate in half, hold it cut-side down over a large (I repeat: LARGE) bowl, and start thwacking the back of it with a wooden spoon. Use your wrist. The seeds will just pop out, and it is a very good way to relieve tension and release some frustration.

For the pecans, chop them roughly and toast them for 5-10 minutes in a 350F oven. Don't over cook them, as then they'll just be burnt. I usually set the timer for 5min, and then check every minute until they look and smell properly toasty.

Cut up the fennel bulb and an apple, toss all four ingredients together, and you have a salad!

For the dressing, I used leftover apricot juice from the canned apricots I'd used for the tart - they were packed in pear juice, but it was all orange from housing apricots - mixed with some olive oil, salt, and pepper. Pretty simple, although I'm sure a fancier dressing would be just as delicious, if not more so.

Overall, a very tasty salad. Will definitely make again.

No comments: