Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Lettuce pitas

Ed is admonishing me to post more recipes more often, since I keep taking photos of things but not doing anything with them. I'll try to upload some of our yummy meals in the next few days. I've sort of given up on the whole tasty-healthy-cheap idea for now - not that everything I cook isn't at least one of those adjectives, and often two, but given that I'm only in Amherst for two nights a week, I'm not buying food for myself as often. Mostly, I steal food from our fridge at home, and brave Ed's wrath when he discovers all the kale has gone missing out of the fridge. At least I don't take his beer...

Anyway, Ed had gone to Russos and gotten lots of veggies, but he called me up as I was driving home from Amherst and asked me to pick up something bloody from the store. I stopped by Whole Foods, because they have yogurt pretzels in the bulk section (not that I'd ever sample from the bulk section), and they had some top round (I think?) that was relatively cheap and looked pretty good. I want to say it was around $5/lb, which puts it on par with hamburger when you're looking at the WF meat case. Anyway, half a pound of that went pretty far, since we ended up slicing it.
*drool*

We both decided pitas would be just the thing, but, we had neither pitas nor the patience to make some. So, we made lettuce pitas, and that worked out pretty well. Sort of interesting, but very tasty, and pretty healthy too.

The stuff for inside: steak (boy is that cooked perfectly), tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, and a sort-of-tzatziki sauce that Ed had made a day or two before.

The tzatziki is the only real recipe, and being an Ed-recipe, all quantities are approximate...
Combine: greek yogurt, diced feta cheese, diced cucumber, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper. I think that is more or less in descending order of quantities, but just keep tasting it until it tastes tangy and creamy and salty and delicious.

The mushrooms are giant oyster mushrooms (we get them from Russos - they're like $3.98/lb, which is actually the same price as the white button mushrooms, and they taste way better. Score!), sauteed in butter and kosher salt. The onions have just been sliced and cooked for a while until they're just starting to caramelize.

Lay your stuff on the fatter end of the lettuce leaf, and try not to over-stuff, because lettuce breaks. Cabbage might have been better, but we only had redleaf lettuce.

Roll it up, attempt to seal it shut, and eat!

No comments: