Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Biscuits





Biscuits are delicious. This is Alton Brown's buttermilk biscuit recipe, from his book I'm just here for more food. Make these, they have a high Ed-rating, and are quite delicious. Also, you can have them in the oven in 10 minutes. And out of the oven in another 15.

2C flour
4tbs baking powder
1/4tsp baking soda
3/4tsp salt
1C buttermilk
1/2 stick butter, frozen

Mix all the dry stuff together. Use a cheese grater to grate the butter into the dry stuff. Use your fingertip to rub the butter into the flour for all of 37 seconds. Dump in the buttermilk, and mix just enough to combine. I sort of fold it, usually.

Now comes the tricky part. The recipes all say to knead the biscuits and then cut them into shapes, but I've always just made plops of dough. I decided to try both. In the end, I think I prefer the kind that is just dropped onto the baking sheet, because they are crispier, and I like the shaggy look. The kneaded/folded ones were too much like a dinner roll. Still light and flaky, but just less delicious.

Bake 15-20min at 400F.





Regardless of whether they're lumpy or smooth, biscuits are delicious straight out of the oven. I think that plate is biscuits is basically all I ate that day...

No comments: