Friday, July 10, 2009

A sort-of Whitney Cake



Whitney cakes are the ultimate simple cakes. I probably have the recipe wrong, but its a Bullitt recipe, and its something along the lines of 1C flour, 1C sugar, and 1C liquids. I think the liquids are egg, milk, and butter, and there is probably some baking powder and salt too. I wanted to make a whitney cake, with some cherries, since I had some cherries and they weren't getting eaten fast enough, but then I made a half recipe, and I don't even know if its a real whitney cake since I just sort of made it up. I also didn't have any milk, so used yogurt, and I didn't feel like melting butter, so I used oil. But, it tasted delicious. I'll do this one again. I feel like it would work well with any fruit, so peaches are next...

Cherry Almond Cake
Made one small heart-shaped pan (~1.5 C batter?)

1/2C flour
1/3C sugar
1/8tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 egg
2 tbs yogurt
2 tbs oil
1/2 tsp almond extract
~4 cherries, cut in half and pitted

Preheat the oven to 350F.

Put the sugar, flour, salt, and baking powder in a bowl. Mix it all together. In a separate bowl, mix together the egg, yogurt, oil, and almond. Add the dry to the wet, and stir it around just until its mixed. Pour into a well-greased pan, in my case I used a small heart-shaped pan. This isn't much batter. It makes a thin layer.

Cut the cherries in half and remove the pits. Artfully arrange them cut-side down on the top of the cake batter. Bake the cake for 15-20 minutes, start checking it after 15 minutes.

I hesitate to say this serves more than one...

No comments: