Friday, July 17, 2009

Buckwheat Scallion Pancakes



I've made scallion pancakes before, and they were good. I've made buckwheat crepes before, and they were good too. So I figured I'd merge the two. I made buckwheat scallion pancakes! I ended up baking them, just because its easier than standing there flipping things in hot oil in a pan (but not by much. neither technique is all that hard). The dough was pretty sticky to work with - I think that was the buckwheat, but it actually made it easier to roll the pancakes out.

I don't exactly remember the recipe - something along the lines of 1C water, 1/2C regular flour, and 1/2C buckwheat, and a whole bunch of scallions. Mix the flour and water together, and knead it until its smooth. I remember needing lots more flour to keep it from sticking. Divide the dough in two, roll it out flat like a pancake, and sprinkle with sesame oil and scallions. Roll it up like a cigar, and then roll it again like a rug. Roll out the rug to make a flat pancake, sprinkle with more sesame oil, salt, and red pepper flakes, and back for ~20min. Then cut it up and enjoy!

These weren't quite as flaky as the regular scallion pancakes, probably because the buckwheat sort of makes a batter rather than a dough. They were actually really good that way, though, since they were crunchy on the outside and chewy on the inside. And salty and spicy on the outside, too. Yum.

Next time, though, I think I'll keep the crepes and the regular pancakes separate, though. They were better on their own than mixed.

No comments: