Friday, June 12, 2009

Granola, v1.0


I wasn't looking for it, but I found a recipe for granola that looked interesting. I tend to make the things that look interesting, without regard for how they'll taste... well, sometimes with regard for how they'll taste. This one was good, but would have been better if a)I hadn't forgotten to add the vanilla extract and the cinnamon, and b)if I'd added more sweetener. It didn't sound all that sweet, with just one tablespoon of honey and one banana. Maybe my banana wasn't sweet enough, but I went with two tablespoons of maple syrup and I could barely taste any sweetness. Its good, don't get me wrong, just don't expect a sweet granola from this recipe.

The reason this is v1.0 is that I definitely plan on making this again. Possibly in the form of bars, since it stuck together quite well, but definitely with some changes. I'm thinking of adding dates, or apricots, or some other sweet dried fruit to the banana mixture. I didn't like the flavor of the raw mixture - too banana-y - but cooked, I couldn't taste the banana at all. Also, I had my oven too hot (375 or so), because the granola was close to burned after 30 minutes. And I'd add a lot more coconut next time. You can barely taste it in this one! I also forgot the salt.

So while you can go get the original recipe over here, below is MY version (1.0) of this granola. The original recipe might be better. But I guarantee that my version 1.1 is going to be best!

Granola
Yields 6 cups of granola

2C rolled oats (not quick oats)
1/2C flax seeds, I tried to grind them up but my food processor wasn't up to that task
1/2C almonds
1/2C walnuts
1/4C coconut
1/2C golden raisins
1/2C craisins
1 banana
3/4C water
2 tbs maple syrup

Preheat your oven to 325F.

In a food processor or blender, blend the banana with the water and syrup. Ideally, add some extracts that sound like they'd taste good at this stage. My next version will have vanilla and almond extract. I just forgot this time.

In a large bowl, mix together the oats, flax seeds, and nuts. Pour the liquid over it, and stir it around until everything is moistened and clumpy. Spread it in a thin layer over two baking sheets, ideally on a silicon pad, but alternatively on tin foil. It sticks otherwise. Bake for 30-40 minutes, until it is toasty brown. When you think it has about 5 minutes left, sprinkle the coconut on top, and let that get crispy toasted. You could try putting the coconut in with everything else, but I worry it would burn...

Once the granola is done baking, crumble it up in a big bowl with your dried fruit. Don't cook the dried fruit, because it will burn. Mix it all together and enjoy! We'll see how long it lasts... I would imagine it can't really go that stale, though.

No comments: