Monday, March 30, 2009

Spinach curry thing


I don't know that this is an actual curry, but it had curry powder in it, that makes it a curry, right? I felt like making a glop, and glop I did make, but it was really good glop. Sort of like a cross between curry, saag paneer, and dahl. It would have been awesome with naan, had I thought to make some. I put chicken in this, but it didn't need it. Like most glops that I make, this is extremely flexible. Any ingredient can be removed, added, substituted, whatever. It was easy, too, all I had to do was occasionally stir it or add more liquid.

1 lb frozen spinach
1/2C red lentils
1 onion
1 tbs oil
2 cloves garlic
1-inch cube of ginger
a couple chives
a couple leaves of basil
1 chicken breast
3-4 tbs lemon juice
green curry paste*
sweet curry powder*
cumin*
salt*
sambal olek*
Thai garlic chile sauce*
coriander*
mustard seeds*

*all the spices are sort of optional, I mean you want some curry flavor, but just the green curry paste would have been fine. I just happened to have other spices, that were crying out to be used.

Start by sweating the onion in the oil, and then add the garlic until its toasted. Add 2C of water and 1/2C of lentils, and the spinach. I didn't bother thawing it, I let the boiling water around it do that. So yes, I boiled the lentils. It still tasted good. Add the rest of the spices. Put a lid on the pot and let everything cook for a while. Come back and stir and taste. Cover and cook. Continue that process until the lentils taste done. Meanwhile, cook the chicken, and when the lentils are done, add the chicken (or tofu, or lamb, or whatever you want. Or nothing). Serve with rice and naan.

No comments: