Monday, March 30, 2009

Cottage cheese muffins

Or, king's muffins. I'll get to that.

I knew I wanted muffins, but I didn't know what kind of muffin I wanted, and I wanted to try something different rather than go with the same old favorites I usually make. I snooped around the internets for a while, and eventually stumbled onto this recipe, from 101 Cookbooks, and since I've made some of her recipes before, and they've worked out, I figured I was golden. I even followed the recipe without changing anything! (this is something new for me, this following a recipe thing). Well, I did use dry sundried tomatoes instead of tomatoes packed in oil, since I didn't have tomatoes packed in oil but I did have dry ones. So I almost didn't change anything.

The recipe came together fine, and the muffins taste fine, although I did use ground almonds instead of almond flour (because I have whole almonds, but I don't have almond flour), and I like the crunchiness. I don't, however, like the pricetag that came with these muffins. So, muffins are usually a cheap snack for me - flour, egg, sugar, and some things like walnuts or raisins. These ones needed cottage cheese (not that expensive, but not something I have on hand - $2.50), 4 eggs (for 10 muffins! - $2.99/12=$.99), sundried tomatoes ($?), basil ($3.99), almond flour (if you went and bought a bag of this stuff its $9.99, I ground up whole almonds, a 5lb sack of which cost $9.99, so 1C of them was probably $.50? I can't do math), 3/4C parmesan cheese (this is almost the whole block of what I had, which was $5.20, so we'll call it $4.00 of cheese). Thats a lot of dollars for 10 muffins. They were good, but not that good. Probably won't make them again, although the idea of using cottage cheese in a muffin is intriguing, now that I have half a container to use up...

No comments: