Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Lamb Lollypops in an Orange-Ginger-Soy-Sesame Glaze

I know, this isn't a muffin. Its shocking, really, to think that I eat anything other than healthy OCD muffins. But, it happens. We decided that we wanted lamb, and we were debating various ways to cook it and settled on a glaze. I thought this would be fantastic over mashed potatoes, but the motivation to make mashed potatoes wasn't to be found, so we went with popovers (baked in a muffin tin--see! There are muffins involved!).

Glaze
Juice of one orange
2 tbs granulated sugar
Grated peel of half the orange
~1tbs grated ginger, although I imagine ginger powder would be fine
2 tbs dark soy sauce
1 tbs black sesame seeds (or white, if that is what you have)



First Ed dissolved the sugar into the orange juice, then he added everything else. He pan fried the lamb, cut into individual lollypops (chops? I think I prefer the term lollypop), in some sesame oil, and just poured the glaze over the top. Don't get the heat too high or the glaze will burn. We used a really delicious organic little lamb, and cooked it super rare, just barely warmed up on the inside, the way meat should be. I've got to admit, that was the best lamb I've ever eaten, and I've eaten some delicious lamb. I love eating baby animals. I think this glaze would also be really good with duck, or venison. Anything with that gamey taste. Maybe next time we're in Whole Foods we'll check out that slab of buffalo meat...

1 comment:

Jess said...

"I love eating baby animals."

Oh Alex...




I do love your muffin and other dessert goodie recipes though. Makes me want to cook more!