Friday, September 7, 2018

CSA week number... something

I've lost track. I think we missed blogging some weeks. Let me just say that it has been a lot of colorful veggies! Tomatoes, peppers, beets, carrots, and now a steady-ish supply of onions and potatoes. I do kind of miss greens, though, so hopefully those'll be coming back in.

I think this post is probably just for two week's worth of CSA veggies. The second one, it was all on Ed, because I was in Wyoming. And then, he went to the farm and picked a gazillion more tomatoes. Because that's totally what we needed! 



Beets (red, golden, candy-striped)
Bell peppers (red, green, and mottled)
Carrots
Tomatoes
Heirloom tomatoes
Potatoes
White onions
Garlic

I no longer remember how much of each thing, but I think that was like 3lb of peppers. That's a lot of peppers. What do people do with peppers? besides just eating them raw? Anyway, below follow some things we made, in no particular order.



Tomato galette in a cornmeal crust. I thought this was pretty amazing - I really liked the crunch from the cornmeal in the crust. The tomatoes melt out into delicious little morsels of awesome, and there was enough thyme sprinkled over the whole thing to really add some yum.

For the crust, I think it was 1C of flour, 4tbs cold butter, 1 pinch salt, and 1tbs coarse polenta. Food processor that until it's crumbly, then add water, a tablespoon at a time, until it holds together. This doesn't need to be pretty, because you just roll it out in a circle, fill with halved cherry tomatoes, sprinkle with salt and thyme, and fold the edges toward the center.

Ed didn't really like the "surprise crunch," but I thought it was delicious. I guess you could use regular cornmeal instead of coarse polenta, but then you'd get less surprise crunch. Anyway, I have since made an additional ten or so tomato galettes, I thought this was so delicious.


And a peach/husk cherry galette - also delicious! I think I added a tablespoon of sugar to the crust, and about a tablespoon of sugar to the peaches/husk cherries before cooking them.


Sometimes, this is lunch.



This is clearly from when we were still willing to turn on the oven. Tomato/basil salad, roasted beet chips, roasted potato wedges, and stuffed peppers. The peppers were filled with brown rice, chopped good salami, savory, and maybe something else, I don't remember. They were quite tasty. And covered in cheddar cheese. Can't go wrong. 



Giant omelettes filled with peppers and onions and tomatoes and basil and cheddar cheese!



This was a good one. Normal people make pitas from scratch on a weeknight, right?

Pita with green bean hummus, marinated beet/tomato salad, husk cherry/peach/habanero chutney, and a roasted chicken thigh. That one was really delicious. The beet/tomato thing I think was just marinated with balsamic vinegar, oil, salt, and savory. Cooked beets and halved tomatoes. Delish.

Green Bean Hummus
~2C green beans, cooked
~2-4tbs tahini
salt
lemon juice

Use a food processor, and mix all those things together. Taste, and adjust the salt and lemon juice until it's delicious.



I don't think I'm destined to be a food stylist.

Last week's CSA: 



Green peppers
Delicata squash
Slicing tomatoes
Heirloom tomatoes
Mint
Eggplants
Garlic
Yellow Onions
Arugula, with some other baby brassicae

This was the haul while I was in Wyoming, so I have fewer photos. Though he did send me some things:


Mackerel, with what looks like pickled carrots, pickled jalapenos, roasted red and green peppers, fried eggplant slices, and the remainder of the green bean hummus. I think maybe the mackerel was stuffed with something?









And then... some tomato sorting. Lots and lots and lots of tomatoes. So far we're up to three big jars of dried tomatoes, several big jars of tomato sauce, some smaller jars of paste, and at least one jar of tomatillo salsa.



This was a delicious one. Cherry tomato tart, with less surprise crunch because I used a finer corn meal, and then a root veggie salad over a bed of baby brassicae. Boiled candy and yellow beets, carrots, and roasted delicata squash. The dressing was a thinned-out version of the green bean hummus I talked about above. With a small sprinkle of parsley and then the roasted delicata squash seeds. I think delicata makes the best seeds - crunchy, yet tender. We were really impressed with the delicata squashes - they're sweet, and not at all bitter, but not overly sweet. We ate them skin on, no problems with that, cut into little half-moon shapes.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Peppers and tomatoes = shakshuka! https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2010/apr/16/yotam-ottolenghi-shakshuka-recipe