Saturday, June 30, 2012

Pesto biscuits

I'm getting a bit back-logged here, I have oodles of new things that we cooked!  This is from last week, or is it the week before?  whenever it was that the temperatures were finally down in the 50s at night and only in the 70s during the day, so I actually was willing to turn on the oven.  We were severely short on anything bready or starchy, so to satisfy some imminent hunger cravings I made Alton Brown's pesto biscuits, from the I'm just here for more food cookbook.  They were pretty delicious, and quick to throw together.  And since I happen to have pesto in the freezer, it seemed like a good use for it!


I like to make drop biscuits, because then you don't have to knead them and cut them out and whatever, just makes it faster.  But, they aren't the prettiest things to look at.  I made some very minor tweaks to the recipe, using all butter instead of butter + lard (didn't have any lard), using half whole wheat flour, and like half the amount of buttermilk than called for, since I ran out halfway through measuring it.  Still worked out, and they were delicious!

Pesto dinner biscuits
Made 9

1/2C white flour
1/2C whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/8tsp baking soda
1/2tsp salt
2 tbs butter, frozen
1/2C buttermilk (if you run out, just add water until you have the right amount)
1/4C pesto

Preheat oven to 450F.  Grease a baking sheet.

Mix all the dry stuff together.  Use cheese grater to grate frozen butter into dry stuff.  Pinch with your fingertips for 30 seconds or so.  mix all the wet stuff together.  Add wet to dry, mix just to combine.  Plop spoonfuls of batter onto the baking sheet, in whatever size you feel like eating.

Bake for 15-20min, until golden brown and delicious.  Enjoy!

No comments: