Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Kale with sausage and garlic


I was getting sick of crunchy kale, my usual use for the green stuff, and I had a sausage in the fridge, so I figured it was time to try something new. It was pretty tasty, and I made it all pretty by putting it on a plate over some sliced sweet potatoes, and topping it with some pan-fried oyster mushrooms. Pretty things taste better.

The kale itself was pretty simple. I chopped the sausage up into bits (a more flavorful sausage would have been good, but I had a mild one. It was fine). I cooked that in a separate pan, just to cook it through. In the main pan, I heated some olive oil, then toasted some slices of garlic. Once they were golden brown, I added the chopped kale, as much as you can fit in the pan. I threw in some lemon juice and some kosher salt, and then covered it and let it cook away. When the kale was properly wilted, and the sausage was cooked, I combined the two, and we ate it.

This got an approving Ed-rating. Another fine way to eat your greens!

Also, sweet potatoes sliced thinly, tossed with olive oil and salt, and baked at 400F for 10 minutes are pretty delicious.

No comments: