Thursday, September 15, 2011

Anna's applesauce cake


I can't believe I've never made this, or put it on the blog, yet. Anna Mcloon makes a mean chocolate applesauce cake, and apparently I asked her for the recipe once, back in 2007. It took some digging through old emails to find it, but Ed has been going nuts at making applesauce again this year, so I figured it was the appropriate baked dessert for the day. It also fits the budget pretty well, as I had everything on hand already. Cheap, tasty, sorta-healthy (I mean, it has applesauce, that's a fruit!), and easy to make. Good times! This one's for you, Anna, I'm missing you already.

Chocolate applesauce cake from 1,000 Jewish recipes by Faye Levy, with assorted comments, etc by Anna.

1.5C flour
1/3C unsweetened cocoa
1-1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp baking soda
3 tbs vegetable oil
1C sugar
1 large egg
1-1/3C applesauce (unsweetened, 'cause that's what I prefer to eat)

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour a 9" square baking pan. I used a round one, and I think it was only 8" diameter. Anna mentions that if you use cocoa instead of flour, you don't get the cake all white on the bottom.

Mix all the wet stuff together in one bowl, and all the dry stuff in another bowl. Combine, but don't overmix.

Dump the batter in the pan, and sprinkle some chocolate chips on top. Bake 25-30 minutes or until the tester comes out clean. Lastly, the most important instructions: "Bring to party!" Except we ate it at home. Whatevs, it's still tasty!

No comments: