Monday, April 11, 2011

Sandwiches

Last week, I decided that I didn't feel like "cooking", so I would just buy sandwich ingredients and eat sandwiches all week. At the time, that seemed like a good idea, but then I remembered that I don't actually like sandwiches. If there is melted cheese involved, that's ok, but cold cuts sort of turn my stomach. I guess if I'd not started making grilled cheeses, it would have been some sort of horrid sandwich-diet. Ugh. I discovered, in buying the ingredients I felt were necessary to make a good sandwich, that sandwiches cost a lot of money. I made the bread, but buying deli turkey, bacon, basil (couldn't bear to cut off Barry's leaves... he isn't doing too well to begin with, I'm hoping that leaving him with all his photosynthesizing bits will help him out), sprouts, hummus, mustard, avocado, cheese, and salad ingredients - that was probably my most expensive run at the grocery store I've made in the last couple months. Yikes. How do people afford to eat sandwiches?

So after looking at that bill, I figured I damn well better enjoy my sandwiches. Unfortunately, it just wasn't going to happen. So once I ran out of turkey and bacon and avocado (that only took two days), it was back to grilled cheeses. And broiled cheese-on-bread. Melted cheese is delicious. Add bacon, and you have a double deliciousness!


The first few bites were delicious - turkey, bacon, avocado, sprouts, basil leaves, hummus on one piece of bread, yummy mustard on the other side, roasted red peppers - it was a far cry from those bland bread-and-ham sandwiches that I ate every. single. day. of highschool. I think that's where my hatred of sandwiches dates back to. I keep trying to make myself like them... melted cheese helps.


Next up was grilled cheese. Basically, I had a cold sandwich for lunch and melted cheese deliciousness for dinner - sort of like a reward for eating the cold sandwich. These photos don't do justice to how delicious that grilled cheese sandwich actually was. Cheese (a mix of cheddar and mozzarella in this case), basil, bacon, and bread.

By the end of the week, I was going for full-blown open-faced bread-and-cheese. Far superior to sandwiches. This is getting closer to pizza, which is delicious.
This one finished off my cheese stash - basil and sundried tomatoes underneath some cheddar and shredded mozzarella.

Next time, it'll be a week of pizza, not sandwiches. I had to try, I guess. At least I seem to be over the gag reflex.

No comments: