Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Pesto




Russo's sells basil in massive bunches for $1.98, when I say massive I mean massive, and this makes me happy beyond words. Unfortunately, even I can't eat that much basil, and Ed gets sick of me putting basil in everything, so, I turned most of it into pesto. Its a pretty delicious pesto, so I'll try and remember the quantities... as with most things I make, the quantities did not come from a recipe. I don't know where I got the idea to use almonds instead of pine nuts, it certainly isn't my original idea, but it works really well. I also don't remember where I got the idea to put in a tomato, but wherever I got that idea, its awesome.

Basil Pesto
Makes about 2 cups

~4C packed basil leaves, rinsed and dried
~2-4 tbs olive oil
1/2C whole almonds
1/2C grated parmesan cheese
1 tomato
salt
pepper
1 clove garlic
more olive oil

Equipment:
Food processor

Start by toasting the almonds. Bake them on a sheetpan in a 350F oven for 15 minutes. Let them cool a couple minutes before chopping them up.

Meanwhile, chop the garlic into slivers and toast it in a generous quantity of oil (~1 tbs in a small pan should just about deep fry the garlic). Toss it around in the oil over medium heat until its barely toasted brown. Don't throw out the oil, you'll use it in the pesto.

Once your almonds have cooled, grind them as finely as you can (but not to the point of making almond butter) in the food processor. Add the garlic, the tomato (chopped roughly), and some oil just to lubricate things. Process that until it looks like a paste. Add the basil, about a cup at a time, processing in between, until things are nice and green. Keep adding basil until its green enough for you. Add more oil for a thinner texture, if you like it that way. Add the cheese. Add lots and lots of salt, and a little pepper - keep tasting as you keep adding things. Definitely taste along the way.

I like my pesto on the thick and chunky side, hence the small quantity of oil. If you want it as a really thin spread, add lots more oil (and maybe fewer almonds?). Either way, its delicious.



What to do with all this pesto? Aside from just spreading it on bread and eating it, or just scooping it up with your finger and eating it, or tossing it with pasta and eating it, one of my favorite ways to use pesto is with portobello mushrooms.

Preheat your oven to 400F and rinse your mushrooms.
Place them flat-side-down on a baking sheet, with a little olive oil to lube the pan.

Spread pesto all over the bottom-side of the mushroom.

Bake at 400F for 15 minutes, until a fork stabbed into the middle doesn't encounter much resistance. They'll ooze mushroom juice mixed with pesto all over after you stab them, just warning you...

(I use LOTS of pesto on these things... I guess that's why I like it a little chunkier, it holds up to being spread thickly!)

No comments: