Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Lime polenta yogurt cake


Yogurt cakes are awesome. I was going to make a lemon one, but I happened to have two limes, so I went with that, and deliciousness ensued. I had some whole milk yogurt left over from something, so I had already decided to put it into a cake, sort of like this one, but naturally I got distracted and made something different. I used a pretty coarse grain of corn meal here, and it made it deliciously textured. Worth trying. And the lime just brightens everything up, and the glaze keeps it moist.

1C flour
1/2C cornmeal - the coarser the better
3 eggs
1/2C oil
1/2C yogurt
3/4C sugar
zest of 1 lime (2 limes if you really like limey stuff. I used two)
1/2tsp salt
1/4C powdered sugar, for glaze
lime juice, for glaze

Preheat your oven to 350F.

Mix together the eggs, oil, and yogurt. In a separate bowl, mix the cornmeal, flour, salt, and lime zest. Add the dry to the wet, stir to combine. Grease a cake pan (I used an 8" diameter one), and pour the batter into the pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes.

Meanwhile, make the glaze. Mix ~1/4C of powdered sugar with the juice of one lime. It should be fairly runny, but add more juice or more sugar to get the texture you'd like.

When a tester comes out clean, remove the cake from the oven and dump out on a cooling rack, positioned over a plate. Maybe in a more graceful way than dumping. Poke a bunch of holes in the cake, and pour the glaze over the cake while its still warm, being sure to scoop up the glaze that ran off the cooling rack onto the plate back onto the top of the cake, especially into those holes you pokes.

Let the glaze and the cake cool for a bit before eating it. And then do your best to not eat it all at once...

No comments: