Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Grilled cheese

After one of the CSU orienteering training sessions, I invited everyone over for dinner - it made sense, since we were starting and finishing the run at my house. I decided to put the George Foreman grill to work, and Ed made the tomato soup, which was pretty fantastic. I don't remember what went into it at this point, but I think it had all of the following ingredients (make up amounts as you please...):
-diced tomatoes
-tomato paste
-white wine
-onions
-garlic
-yogurt
-carrot
-smoked maple syrup
-salt
-pepper
Ed cooked the veggies first, then added the tomato stuff. Then he blended it all. Then he cooked it some more, and only then did he add the yogurt and smoked maple syrup. It was pretty delicious.



The grilled cheeses were all in my realm, however. The night before, I'd cooked a bunch of bacon in the oven - you put it on a cooling rack over a cookie sheet and bake at 350F for 20 minutes or so, it seems the best way to do big batches of bacon. Naturally, I cooked more than was strictly necessary, because I knew we'd be nibbling on it...

We had some good quality cheddar, apple slices, and good mustard. Everyone buttered their own bread, loaded up the fillings, and plopped the sandwiches onto the grill. It worked really well, and I have to say that the dinner was definitely more enjoyable than the run...

No comments: