Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Scallion Pancakes

The other day I was struck by a craving for the Taiwan Cafe's scallion pancakes. Unfortunately, I wasn't near the Taiwan Cafe, so I figured I'd try making them. I was scared it would be a very long, arduous process, but it actually wasn't too bad. I found a recipe here, and it looked doable. I did not let the dough rest at all, which may have made them easier to roll out, but it worked. They ended up delicious, although they could have used more of a deep-fried method rather than pan-fried, I thought they were lacking in oil.

Use Real Butter has much nicer looking step-by-step instructions than me, and since I didn't change the recipe, go get it there. Basically, you make the dough, knead it, let it rest (oops), divide it up and roll it out into a circle. I put about a quarter teaspoon of oil on each pancake, then sprinkled on the scallions and some salt.

Roll it up like a cigar, and then roll it horizontally like a snail.


Once its rolled up again, roll it out flat. This is what gives those pancakes their awesome flakiness and layers.


Fry them up in about a tablespoon of oil per pancake.


Slice them up and enjoy!!


A dipping sauce would be nice, I don't know what the proper dipping sauce is but I mixed some soy sauce with rice wine vinegar and that tasted pretty good. I highly recommend making these things, they were easy and pretty quick, and most importantly - delicious.

No comments: