Thursday, June 26, 2008

Crazy healthy cranberry pancakes

I was perusing one of those runners world type websites the other day and came across a recipe for cranberry orange oat pancakes. Because I love the combination of cranberries and oranges, I decided to try them. They were advertised as quick, easy, and healthy, and while I certainly believe the easy and healthy parts, I don't know about quick. There were so many dang ingredients that I spent more time pulling stuff out of cupboards and then putting it away than I did eating them. Morning is not a good time to be searching for baking powder. Overall, they were ok. Kind of dense. Kind of chewy. I liked the craisin-orange combination, but the redeeming factor was that they were fried. And covered in maple syrup. Wait a sec... do copious quantities of butter and syrup negate the healthy part?

Ingredients
1C rolled oats (not quick oats)
1C whole wheat flour
1/4C white flour
3 tbs packed brown sugar
1 tbs ground flax seed
1 tbs wheat germ
4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon (optional)
1 tsp orange zest (optional, but I used it)
2 eggs
1C orange juice
1/4C milk
2 tbs olive oil
3/4C dried sweetened cranberries

In a large bowl, whisk the oats, flours, sugar, flax seed, wheat germ, salt, cinnamon, and orange zest. In a separate bowl whisk the eggs, orange juice, milk, and olive oil. Add the wet to the dry and stir to combine. Fold in the craisins. Drop 4-inch globs on a fry pan in plenty of butter, cook until brown on one side and then flip. Serve with yogurt and fruit if you're going for the healthy thing, or just drown in real maple syrup, like I did.

Honestly. Who puts OLIVE OIL in a pancake? Why couldn't plain old vegetable oil suffice? I suppose these had lots of good vitamins and stuff. I'll stick with the King Arthur Flour version, myself...

No comments: