Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Honey Whole Wheat Muffins


I ran out of sugar. It was a sad, sad, day. Actually, it was good, because it was while me and Patrice were making cupcakes and we had just enough. But since then I haven't had any. I wanted to make a strawberry-rhubarb type muffin, but I realized that without sugar, that just wasn't going to taste good. Then I realized that I had a massive bottle of honey from Costco, so I looked up some recipes for honey muffins. I ended up using this one, with some tweaks, as is normal for me. It was a fortuitous day, because I also had some orange juice, which I never have, and I got to use it up.

The honey muffin turned out really well. Unfortunately none of them made it long enough to see how they'd perform in the day-old test. It was light, not too sweet, not too grainy (given the amount of whole grain crap I put in it), and played well with other flavors. I'll be making this one again for sure! I made two variations this time--one with star anise and ginger (Ed's request, I don't like star anise because it tastes like black licorice), and one with walnuts. I left half the batter without nuts, though, because one of the girls in my office is allergic to them. Next I want to try one with lemon zest (or maybe lemon juice instead of OJ) and ginger, although maybe not candied ginger. And I want to see how this does with yogurt in it, I feel like that would work, too. These muffins weren't all that sweet, so they could work with a streusel topping, as well.

Ingredients
1C whole wheat flour
3/4C white flour
1/2C rolled oats
1/4C oat bran
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp vanilla
1C orange juice
1/2C honey
3 tbs oil
1 egg

Mix together the grains, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. In a separate bowl, lightly beat the egg, then add the OJ, vanilla, honey, and oil. Add the wet to the dry and mix until just mixed. Add any optional things (nuts, fruit, whatever you feel like), and bake at 350F for 15-20 minutes until golden brown on top.

No comments: