Thursday, April 3, 2008

Muesli


It's hardly a recipe, its so simple, but the pictures were pretty. I found some strawberries on sale at the corner fruit stand in Boston, and naturally I bought them, but they were perfectly ripe, meaning they needed instant consumption. While I have been known to eat a pint of strawberries in one sitting, I restrained myself and only ate half the box at a time. I tossed them with a little sugar, then put some yogurt on top (I only have plain yogurt, since I cook with it, therefore it needed sweetening), and then I added some oats, and then I added some nuts, and then I added some wheat germ, and then I realized I'd just made muesli and it would be a lot easier to just scoop some pre-mixed stuff onto my yogurt rather than rummaging around my cupboards in the morning.

Muesli:

3C rolled oats
1/2C craisins
1/2C chopped mixed fruits (apples, prunes, apricots, and pears)
1/3C pecans
1 tbs walnuts
2 tbs sunflower seeds
2 tbs wheat germ

Mix it all together, store in an airtight container. You can use any sort of dried fruit or nut or seed, add different grains, whatever. This made 5 cups of muesli.

So how to do you eat this stuff? You can pour milk on it and eat it cold, or you could start with this:


add some of this:

(yogurt and honey)

And top with some of these (maybe a few less than I used...):


And because its breakfast food, and therefore should be healthy, I calculated the nutrition information for the macronutrients for this stuff:
1/2C of muesli:
180 Calories
6g of fat
27g of carbohydrates
4g of protein
And loaded with all sorts of good things for you, like fiber. and nuts. nuts are good for you too.

No comments: