Saturday, April 21, 2007

Caramelized Brussels Sprouts


My dad used to scare me as a little kid by threatening to feed me overcooked brussels sprouts. I guess he had some bad memories of them, because we never ate them at home. Then I tried some this year, and I can't get enough. Then again, anything caramelized or crunchy tastes good to me... and I like green things too.

Brussel Sprouts:
1 Lb brussel sprouts
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp honey (optional)
2 tsp balsamic vinegar (optional)
Salt and pepper

Preheat the oven to 425F. Cut off the ends of brussel sprouts and cut them in half. Place them in a baking dish large enough to hold them in one layer and toss with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast in the bottom third of the oven for 20 minutes. Stir, drizzle with honey and vinegar (if using), and roast another 5 minutes. I definitely use the honey and balsamic vinegar.

Edit 5/15/08
I didn't realize other people read this blog. Looking back on this recipe, it is one I took directly from here, and I probably shouldn't have posted the recipe up without a reference, or even posted it at all. However, even if a recipe is printed somewhere in its original form, the internet is a fickle thing, and sometimes blogs disappear (or get deleted). Hopefully nobody will be too offended... This blog is where I play with ideas and kitchen experiments, and I like to post my successes, whether or not I was the one who came up with the idea.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is fabulous! I tasted after the 25 min of roasting and felt it wasn't tender enough, so I covered the dish, put back in the oven and turned the oven off until I was finished preparing the rest of the meal- about 20 min. The sprouts were absolutely perfect by then- I sprinkled with a little brown sugar just to balance the tartness of the vinegar, but all in all a great gourmet sidedish!!